August 13, 2004

The Prodigal Daughter

The Past
I got a book by Jeffrey Archer, The Prodigal Daughter. I knew who Jeffery Archer was, as he was making news around that time for being in prison or something. I started reading it, and loved it. This was a real page turner, I almost finished it in one go [with many small pauses].

Then I thought of reading more by Archer, so I went and got a few books. The next book I read was Sons of Fortune, which I really liked also. Then I started reading First Among Equals, but couldn't get past the first few pages. A political book here and there is nice, but I couldn't bear to keep reading politics. I still have not again started reading it.

The Present
Picked up the Prodigal Daughter by random a couple of days ago, and started reading. I really like this book. It's fun to read, and has a really quick pace for a drama. And I really like the character of Florentyna Kane; I like all characters who go after what they want as hard as they can.

The story continues from another Archer novel, Kane & Abel [which I've not read]. It's basically about a woman who is intelligent and fiercely determined. She wants to be the President of the United States, and there are basically three things that stand in her way - being an immigrant's daughter, being a woman, and being extremely rich. You get to read about almost her entire life, it's almost like a fictional biography. You've got to read the story, so I won't spoil much of it here.

Reading it the second time was as good as reading it the first time. This book is something that I'd recommend to anyone.

The Future
Archer is a really good story-teller. I want to read more of his books, but am put off by too much politics. So lets see.

No comments: