January 19, 2005

Comment spam

I’ve been getting some comment spam lately. Really annoying, and can’t think of doing much about it — except checking my comment feed daily and deleting the comments. Haloscan does not offer much to fight spam. I’ve got a few ideas of my own, will try them if the problem gets too annoying.

This is not the first time I wish I had a better place to keep my blog. I love Blogger, but it’s not really much for the power user. I want Wordpress, or even Movable type will do. But the only free service I trust is Blogger. Setting up a Wordpress blog on a free host is easy, but not very reliable. And as I don’t have any income, I won’t register a domain and pay for my hosting, yet.

In other news, Google has put up a great idea on it’s blog yesterday. Just make the search engines ignore all the links from comments, and most of the spammers will not have a reason to continue. Some will keep spamming just to annoy the hell out of people, but the problem will not be as large. Hope that Haloscan implements something like this…

No comments: