March 02, 2005

Cynicism

I’m often labelled as a cynic, and quite rightly so. I tend to think of myself has being a ‘self-induced cynic’, it that makes any sense.

You see, when I’m not cynical about something, I’m almost surely fanatical. Which is worse, so I try to not get too worked up. Nobody likes a fanatic. Moments when I feel too much optimism don’t last.

I know a couple of people who are oppressively optimistic about the world; have given up on ever understanding them at all.

Another thing; there is one skill that I’m trying to cultivate — speak only when you are going to be heard. This is really hard, requires a lot of self-discipline, and is where I've failed miserably so far. Anyways, nothing is worse than being ignored, especially when all you want to do is help.

OK, here’s the quote that best describes what I’m writing about:

Calvin: When I grow up, I’m not going to read the newspaper and I’m not going to follow complex issues and I’m not going to vote. That way I can complain when the government doesn’t represent me. Then, when everything goes down the tubes, I can say the system doesn’t work and justify my further lack of participation.
Hobbes: An ingeniously self-fulfilling plan.
Calvin: It’s a lot more fun to blame things than to fix them.

(PS: This post has been sitting around for ages. Never quite wrote it properly.)

No comments: