July 17, 2005

White Room.

(This could be the first in a series of posts on ‘songs that define their genré’; but probably not. I’m not much of a music man.)

White Room for me defines 60’s music. I couldn’t classify music if my life depended on it, but I get a feeling that putting this under the category of psychedelic rock is just about right. The song is FRIKKIN’ PERFECT I tell ya! Slightly sad as all good stuff is, with lyrics that I won’t ever be able to explain:

In the white room with black curtains near the station.
Black-roof country, no gold pavements, tired starlings.
Silver horses run down moonbeams in your dark eyes.
Dawn-light smiles on you leaving, my contentment.

And that’s just the first verse… The music is great; Clapton’s guitar solos (can I call them that?) keep building & building, and some brilliant stuff is the result. Plus the song manages to sound sad, ominous and triumphant all at once…

And if you have any sort of imagination, the lyrics will definitely make you see stuff. The stunning visuals this song evokes make me wish I could film what I imagine.

That didn’t go really well though, people are better off just hearing it themselves. There’s an interesting, albeit too technical, article about this song over at reasontorock.com; musically literate people are advised to head that way.

No comments: