November 05, 2005

Serenity

Can't Stop the Signal

This was not the hardest post for me to write, but it’s close up there.

What can you say about a movie you loved every minute of, and know that almost no one else is gonna watch it? I want to help some others find serenity in watching this movie, but can’t do that without sounding like an overbearing zealot. That the whole ’verse built around Firefly/Serenity is way too complex to explain in a short paragraph a factor in delaying this post. That the movie seems like it’s not gonna show up in India anytime soon is another factor.

First thing you catch about the ’verse is the humour. Joss Whedon is brilliant at stuff like this: he can make you laugh until you cry.

Wash: This is gonna get pretty interesting.
Mal: Define “interesting”.
Wash: [deadpan] Oh God, oh God, we’re all going to die?
Mal: [a beat, then over the ship’s intercom] This is the captain. We have a little problem with our entry sequence, so we may experience some slight… turbulence and then explosions.

Zoë: [after breaking into a practically empty bank safe] At last, we can retire and give up this life of crime.

Mal: While I’m gone, Zoë is in command. Now, if I’m not back in an hour, I want you to take this ship, take off… and you come and you rescue me!
Zoë: What? And risk my ship?

Mal: I know she meant to kill me ’fore the Doc put her to sleep, which how exactly does that work anyhow?
Simon: Safeword. The people who helped me break River out—they had intel that River and the other subjects were being embedded with behavioural conditioning. They taught me a safeword, in case… something happened.
Kaylee: Not sure I get it.
Simon: A phrase that’s encoded in her brain, that makes her fall asleep. If I speak the words, “Eta…
Jayne: Well don’t say it!
Zoë: It only works on her, Jayne.

There’s a huge cast of characters which I won’t even bother introducing. The movie does not do justice to all the talent there like a TV show would have. Nothing can. Still, this is probably one of the best SciFi movies ever. Orson Scott Card sure liked it.

Once you get to know the humour, you fall even more in love with the language. If you’re me that is. Ain’t nothin’ like it. Archaic english mixed up with slang mixed up with Chinese.

Like the classic quote:

Kaylee: Goin’ on a year now I ain’t had nothin’ twixt my nethers weren’t run on batteries!

People not familiar with the vernacular take a second and then read it again. I’ll wait with a smirk on my face.

Did I say Chinese? The people swear in Chinese instead of English, you nothing needs to be edited out. And you don’t know exactly what they’re sayin’, but can always get the gist of it.

The movie starts off with a long introductory scene that’s brilliantly done. You can watch it online if you so wish. Then it’s all fast-paced and such, leading up the the climax. There’s a space battle going on near the end that’s better than anything you’ll see in Star Wars or something.

That’s where one of my favourite characters in all fiction says:

Wash: I am a leaf on the wind—watch how I soar.

You need to know more ’bout him to get this one, sorry. But trust me the first time you see the movie this scene’s endearing. On the second viewing it’ll be heartbreaking. Haven’t watched it a third time yet, so can’t say what my reaction will be then.

The end is great. Won’t do good to give too much away now.

A not-so-subliminal message to end the post with: <hypnotic voice>go watch this movie.</hypnotic voice>

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

i didnt like a the movie a bit ...

The Unrest Cure said...

Sounds fun. Will watch. :)