December 13, 2005

Bengaluru

OK, so let’s recap. Bombay turned to Mumbai. Calcutta to Kolkota. Madras to Chennai. And now Bangalore’s gonna be Bengaluru

I don’t have anything against ‘re-discovering your roots’ and ‘throwing-off imperial shackles’. But I do think that the powers that be can find much more productive uses of their time.

One consolation though—I can’t wait to hear some foreigner pronounce the name. I myself can barely pronounce it properly. And imagine people being “Bengalurud” (or should it be Bengaluru’d?)… Try saying that five times quickly, without taking a breath.

8 comments:

mallikreddy.blogspot.com said...

‘throwing-off imperial shackles’ ?? well, I like the way you look at this.

humbl devil said...

bang on target, dude...
seems like these politicos are hard pressed for issues...
so what's the best thing to do???
turn a non-issue into an issue...
i mean, what difference is it gonna make in the day-to-day life of the common man...

Ankit said...

Re: ‘throwing-off imperial shackles’

I don't actually see it that way... I'm far from being a nationalist. Was just pointing out others' point-of-view...

Girl said...

Disgusting. I won't dream of using the new name.

Sunil Natraj said...

Its a fad buddy. So jump onto the bandwagon! By the way, its going to be Bengalooru and not Bengaluru.

But bottomline: This sucks!!!

ranjani said...

Unfortunately, it reveals our insecurity and proves how hung up aome of us are, still, about the Raj.

The Unrest Cure said...

But I do think that the powers that be can find much more productive uses of their time.

Spot on. There's nothing more to this than some party taking credit for ‘throwing-off imperial shackles’. I don't give a damn about the name - what bothers me is that peoples taxes are going to spent on all that repainting.

Incidentally, you've reinstated word-verification ?

Ankit said...

Ya, I got five spam comments that I had to delete in three days. They were all on really old posts, it's a good thing that I've set up Blogger to mail me everytime I get a comment or else I'd have never caught 'em.