December 10, 2005

Book season!

It’s near the end of the exams, and I want me books!

Already ordered a couple at Strand:

Am getting the Bradbury book real cheap—250 bucks when the list price is 700. And I’ve heard nothing buy good things about The Simoqin Prophecies.

And have been deliberating on buying some of these ones from Sify:

  • Stardust by Neil Gaiman
  • American Gods by Neil Gaiman
  • Dirk Gently’s Holistic Detective Agency by Douglas Adams
  • The Long Dark Tea-time Of The Soul by Douglas Adams
  • Demolished Man by Alfred Bester
  • More Than Human by Theodore Sturgeon
  • Dune by Frank Herbert
  • Neuromancer by William Gibson
  • Perdido Street Station by China Miéville
  • Lest Darkness Fall & Bring The Light by David Drake & L. Sprague de Camp
  • The Man In The High Castle by Philip K. Dick

Of course this is just the preliminary short-list; and already I’m way over my budget. As you can see, I’m on a sort-of SciFi/Fantasy spree, and that includes checking out the classics in the genré.

Am open to any suggestion you can throw my way. I need to limit my spending this time around to 2000 bucks, so I’ve gotta make many tough decisions.

9 comments:

ranjani said...

Im looking for a book called 'the 13.5 lives of capt. Blue bear.' If you find it somewhere, let me know.

p.s word verification is a pain

Ankit said...

Sify has it, but it's 600 bucks. Firstandsecond has it for Rs. 490.

You buy it, and I'll borrow it later ;)

And ya, I'm also thinking that word verification's become a pain. Think I'll turn it off for some time & see if I get any spam...

Sunil Natraj said...

Anks ... I see you have a busy vacation ahead...Ping me..;-)

By the way, theres something called a project that we are obligated to complete!

ranjani said...

haha, sure.

btw, i don't know if u know but this samit basu writes a blog too. run a google on him.

Ankit said...

It's a cool blog. I've linked him in the post itself...

The Unrest Cure said...

Read Simoqin? If you have, I think The Manticore's Secret would be your next purchase. :)

I had some trouble getting Simoqin too - must have gone to nine bookshops in CP(Delhi) before I found a copy.

The Manticore launch is on the 14th. I believe Samit will be in Mumbai in Jan.

I found Perdido Street Station rather tedious. Couldn't finish it. Love the preface, though.

Found Ray Bradbury's short stories rather odd. I guess I'll have to read some more to be able to digest his type of storytelling.

Ankit said...

After reading all the raves Simoqin is getting (including yours), I can't wait to get started. I will probably buy Manticore when I go to Strand, which should be the 15th. Hopefully they'll have it put up, else I'll just order it online later.

Girl said...

Recommendations, h'm. I love Ray Bradbury's Collection of Short Stories, so I'd recommend anything by him. Try getting Something Wicked This Way Comes, by Bradbury. Also, try and get hold of anything that comes into the The Giant Book of... series, including The Giant Book of Horror, The Giant Book of Detective Stories, etc. You'd get these at Crossword too, but they are worth the money you spend on them.

I'd also recommend Arthur and George by Julian Barnes. I am waiting to get my hands on it. I am switching jobs and I have saved up a tidy sum to splurge on books. That, and I am a huge Arthur Conan Doyle fan.

Also, go in for Baroness Orczy's The Scarlet Pimpernel (The Black Adder parodied it to perfection). I also want to get my hands on Dodie Smith's I Capture the Castle.

Hope that helped, and I am sure you can get these from secondhand bookstores! I will be going to Bangalore soon, so if you need anything from their famous Bangalore secondhand bookshop named Blossom, do let me know.

Ankit said...

Oh! Thanks for reminding me 'bout Something Wicked... I'd forgotten about it. The good news is that there's a short story, Black Ferris, in that collection which was later expanded into Something Wicked This Way Comes. I'll at least get to read that one.

I'm going to Strand on Thursday just as soon as my exams get over; then it's off to the streets to score some second-hand books. Will try getting these books cheaply at first, and then order stuff online ;)