January 28, 2006

Neuromancer

Neuromancer Cover

“Neuromancer,” the boy said, slitting long gray eyes against the rising sun. “The lane to the land of the dead. Where you are, my friend. Marie-France, my lady, she prepared this road but her lord choked her off before I could read the book of his days. Neuro from the nerves, the silver paths. Romancer. Necromancer. I call up the dead. …”

Kaleidoscopic. Visionary. Slightly over the top.

Starts off with:

The sky above the port was the color of television, tuned to a dead channel.

The world as shown in the book is not too far off from reality. I can imagine it forming right now, courtesy a whole generation of SciFi. But to have imagined it in 1984, the year Neuromancer was published, is no mean achievement.

The novel is truly a masterpiece. Hard to get into if you don’t like SciFi, but fun. I don’t like cyberpunk that much: way too grim for me usually. This book’s an exception.

Now go away and research the book yourselves. I’m bored.

PS: Is it just me, or is the cover really ugly?

No comments: