April 20, 2006

Re-reading.

Lately, I’ve not read a lot of new stuff. These days I’m just so bored that I end up picking some book (which I like) off my shelves and start reading it. On a whim. Most of which I don’t finish.

To varying degrees, in the last week I’ve started re-reading:

  • Two Potter books
  • The Fountainhead
  • Vonnegut’s Hocus Pocus, Slaughter-house 5

Plus there I two ongoing books that I’m reading for the first time:

  • Thus Spake Zarathustra
  • Frost’s A Boy’s Will and North of Boston

The Potter books were just for fun. To set the mood. Whatever.

Finished half of the Fountainhead at one stretch yesterday. My first re-read for this book. A friend had it for over six months, and forgot to return it.

Just get the feeling that a lot of people like Ayn Rand’s books without actually understanding what she’s talking about. I, for one, won’t be really confident about giving my opinions on this book till I’ve read it a coupla times more, at least. That does not mean I won’t venture any opinions: just that I am liable to change them without warning.

What can I say about Mr. Vonnegut? Love him. Finished re-reading Hocus Pocus. Just love him.

Robert Frost writes beautiful poems. I’ve been carrying that book around for almost three months now—can’t rush reading poetry. It’s beautiful, but can only be enjoyed intermittently.

A lot of what Nietzsche writes I agree with. Sometimes I don’t. Again, I reserve my right to change my opinions, but it’d be safe to say that I like his books. Whatever. I sure as hell am not gonna stop quoting him.

Lately it’s become important that a book grab my attention. I was just doing some pointless math the other day, and figured that I don’t have time to read all the books I want. I mean, last year I barely read 80 books. Imagine I’d get the time to read even less once I start working. So if I’m not ‘into’ reading some book, then I’m not gonna read it. Haven’t got the time.

It’s amazing how many stories I can store in my head… Can’t remember any names if my life depended on it, but whenever I re-read some old book I liked, I remember perfectly what happened, and to whom. Sometimes I’ve stopped reading books, and picked up on the page I left off months later. Without noticing a change.

I have a terrible memory. I forget stuff all the time. I think I’m just wired to remember stories really well. All sorts of stories fascinate me—even the terribly written ones.

Tags:

No comments: